Labels

Thursday, June 16, 2016

5 Apps that will be useful during teaching...

App #1: Rat Dissection

  I can't believe I chose this, but I think it is important.  I know that dissection of animals may not start as early as K-2, but I do know that from 3rd and up, it gets real serious.  I am NOT a huge fan of dissecting animals in class, mostly due to the smell and touching the dead animal, but I think this app is amazing.  To have an app that is so interactive, would be a great tool in a classroom of squirmy kids.
  Some specs of the app that I think were great, was the fact that it looks like you are really doing the dissecting with the tools.  You are cutting the rat open, pinning it down, and it's like you are making the incision on your own.  It also has a feature where you touch the organ you want to know more about.  For example, you can click on the heart and see how it functions within the animal.  You can get a close up view of what it would look like.  I know in my experience, after I have (not so perfectly) cut an animal open, the heart is so small, it's hard to see the details.  This feature shows you details of each organ, and gives it's functions.
  The app also has another section that shows the step by step process of dissecting, as if it was an instruction manual, before you did the actual cutting.  That would be a great tool to show, if the class was going to use live animals.  You could play that and have the students see the detailed instructions before you began.
  Overall, this app would be of great use in a classroom.  It's easy to understand, would take out the 'willies' of actually cutting up a live animal, and really describes with more detail what I student is seeing as they learn.  





App Review #2: Air Sketch



  This is a super technically cool app.  I'm sure that makes me sound like I am 12, but I really like new apps, that make me go wow!  
  I feel like this app is similar to the ShowMe app, because you can write on it.  But, this app is so much more.  Not only can you be writing or drawing on this app, but you can link anyone else to what your drawing, by simply sharing the URL from any HTML-5 compatible browser.  All the other person needs to know is what URL to punch in and then they are in real-time with you as you draw or in this case Air Sketch.  You can connect your iPad to a smart board or a regular projector, and as you are drawing, everyone can see what you are doing at the same time.  The difference, still, is that it can be on several devices at once.  You can import pictures, graphs, charts, etc..., and then record yourself going over those items.
  Good for me that one of the links was with Japanese speakers, and I enjoyed listening to their enthusiasm about the app, and how they started from an iPad, connected it to a PC, then to another iPad, and then finally to an iPhone. 
  I think this app would serve amazingly in class, especially if I want all the class to use their iPads and not an smart board.  For example: say I had a set of math problems on the smart board, then I shared my URL with my class, that would give them a chance to see me give help on certain problems, instead of having to write it over the smart board. It would be a great tool.  




App #3: 

iPhone Screenshot 1


  This app is a Language Arts app.  The goal of this app is to get children reading, by setting up a new book everyday for them to read.  When you open the app, there is a list of books you can pick from and some same "new" on the top.  When you open a book, will not only be able to read for yourself, but you will also hear the voices of the characters reading to you.  The pictures do not move, but you do hear difference character voices.  The student can flip to the next page, by swiping the screen.  The reviews seem very positive on this app.  
  I think it would be a good app for students to use while reading, but I do not like that the characters have silly voices.  I just feel like several times, it was hard to hear the pronunciation of the proper word.  I think it was just a regular voice, it would help with the child's phonics better.  Also, this app is rated for 5 and under, but I could see it being used as a tool for students who are struggling to read.
  Overall, it does not seem like the most useful in a class, unless I am teaching a Kindergarten or First Grade class.  It seem entertaining, which may prompt kids to want to use it more.  And, for me, anything that gets kids reading, is a good thing.



App #4: MathBoard


  Oh yeah, this is my kind of math board :)  This app seems really helpful in the math department.  For someone, like me, I need scratch paper...just ask my Praxis test administrators ;)  In this app, not only is the teacher able to set up the problems for the class, but there is also a bottom area, where the student can scratch out the problem to solve it before they choose the correct answer.  This is also the main setting, that already has a set of questions, so you don't have to make up your own.  The student fills out the answers, saves it, and then can send it to their teacher.  
  One way this could be help, is that everyone can be working on a quiz on their iPad.  No, paper has to be taken up, and it all can be sent directly to the teacher.  The quizzes on the app are customized for each individual student, so that it fits their level and needs.
  Overall, I think this is a good app.  The woman on the video, did say that she wished the 'scratch sheet' was able to be made larger, so there is more space to write.  I do see students taking up a lot of room, but it should not be that hard to navigate around that.  

App #5: Stack the States


Image result for stack the states app

  I really like interactive, educational games like this.  My niece was able to learn her where certain states were, by using a similar app.  This app, seems really fun, and would be a good way for kids to dive into American geography.  
  In this app, the student has a chance to learn where states are located, what boarders them, and how to connect them together. You can do mini-games, puzzlers, find the capitols, etc..., all while learning the geography of American.
  The important tool of this app, is getting students to enjoy learning about states.  I would take this a bit farther, and have them play a game in the clasroom, where they teach the other students how to find an locate where states are.  This could be by placing a large map on the floor, or having students draw up different states, and label them.  
  Some draw backs of the app, is that you can not control the content of the questions in the quiz.  So, there is no way to only quiz on certain area, if you have not taught over that area yet.  So, it in tat sense, you may be to wait to teach on all of the states, before you start quizzing them. 

1 comment: