Labels

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Safari vs. Rover


I actually had not heard of Rover before, which is weird because I am a TA in the Maryville City School district, and they use iPads and technology all the time.  But, as I am looking through several YouTube videos, it seems like I am finding pretty good information on it.  But, let me back up a minute.  I use Safari 95% of the time, because of my iPhone and MacBook.  But, at work, we use Chrome.  And, as an adult with no children, I would not necessarily be using an App like Rover, because I don't have young eyes looking at my computer screen.  But, I do see the importance of having those filters built in.
  So, here are some pro's I found out about Rover: 
  • A student can click on the Rover app, instead of Safari, and be directed to a 'kid-friendly' website.  From that website, they can pick educational and fun videos and games to engage in.  It also has a built-in Flash capability, so they can view sites that normally are hard to link into.
  • There are loads of games, videos, and educational tools on this app.  This would be awesome to use during class, or even during times that they need a 'sponge' activity.
Here is what I learned about the pro's of Safari:
  • It seems that Safari as like more a legit web-surfing site.  You can keep more tabs open, and bookmark more pages.  
  • You can surf for more topics, and the school the student is in can set up parameters for what students can and cannot view.

So, it seems like both have really good points to using them, but an app like Rover, is set up for the use of education.  It is careful, has a lot of great activities, and would be an easy way for kids to stay safe virtually.  For my classroom, I would prefer Rover, because it would help in keeping their digital citizenship in check.

  vs  

2 comments:

  1. Good comments. The primary reason for Rover, initially, was to use Flash. At first, iPad users kind of freaked at not being able to use Flash. Flash is used far less 5 years later.

    ReplyDelete