Labels

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Spreadsheets

I want to start out by posting a picture of me trying to do this assignment...LOL!

HAHA!  I felt like my mind was going to explode, but it did not, so I am ok :)  But, seriously, let me dive into some thoughts on this topic, how I worked through the tough stuff, how I embraced the 'easy' stuff, and how I survived my first attempt at making a gradesheet.

  Here is the link to my Spreadsheet: Ms. Johnson's Gradebook.  Actually, I am just noticing on this link that the it does not bring up immediately the tab that has my gradesheet on it, but that is a simple fix.  Just scroll down to the bottom and click the "Student Grades" tab.  That will take you to the page that looks like this:


Continuing...I first did the step by step procedure from the Forms-Sheets: Self-grading test, Analysis, Posting. I was doing really good on this, until the Help Sheet 5 ("Posting to a Grade Sheet"). I could not figure out how to get those grades onto my grade sheets.  This was really frustrating/confusing.   To see my progress, you can go to the link: Sad Day in Spreadsheetville.  For all of it, I posted the questions and Students names, exactly how the Sheet said to do it.  But, again, when it came to the part of Posting the Grade, I was at a loss.  I worked on this project for 3 hours, alone.  But, no matter what I tried to do, I really struggled to get the last part done. I may need to help on this :)

 Now, when it came to making my Gradebook spreadsheet, the 'Forms-Sheet' packet really helped me out a lot, mostly to get a base for how to put formulas in, spacing, how to work on getting the grades in, etc...  I have only used spreadsheets to make budgets, categories for lessons, and a packing list.   Compared to those simple tasks, this was way more complexed for me.  To those who have used spreadsheets for bigger projects, this would look simple to them.  But, I found it challenging, in a good way.  I really feel like I learned a TON of new ways to use spreadsheets, and also found myself feeling like I had a accomplished a big task (taking into consideration that I did not finish the packet portion at 100%, yet).  
  I felt like the most challenging parts for me, was learning how to write the formulas.  But, as I looked through several videos on AtomicLearning.com, I was amazed by how quickly I started picking it up.  I do get nervous when it comes to mathematical work, but after learning what I needed to ender into each section, it came very easily.  Your info in the packet on how to add the grades together and the formula you used, really helped me understand how to get it all together.  And, the fact that you can copy that formula down rows and across columns was amazing, and shortcut many areas for me.  I think this was a great lesson and made me feel like I could do it.
  I would not say much came easy to me.  I mean, once I got the hang of it, I could do the formula's without having to check back at the paper or another video to helped.  I did like how after I put a formula in, and had to change a grade, it changed ALL the numbers.  That was nice, because I did not have to go back manually and do it myself.  I was shocked by how much easier it got over time, but I know I need more practice and need to dive into it a bit further.  With that said, I think if my brain can do it, then most others should be able to do it also :) One 
  
 Some Questions I have:

1) A couple of things that are still not clear to me have to do with the "Grading Scale" bar I made.  I could not figure out how to link it to anything, or if I was suppose to link it to anything.  So, I ended up just using Dr. Krug's Scale as my scale and just checking what grade they would have made by the numbers listed.  So, I wonder if there is an easier way to do that, or is that normal (how I did it)?  

2) Also, how I set my spreadsheet up for grading, was that I had all the parameters in, but in different sections.  Then, I put their grade there.  Was that the best way for me to do it?

3) Lastly, I would love some helping getting past "Help Sheet 5" in the packet you gave us.  I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong, and where I should place it.

Using Presentations within the Common Core State Standards

  The more I read into Graham's book, the more I am amazed by how much use the Google app will have and does have on students.  This chapter did a great job on breaking down a chunk of what one can expect when working with Google Presentations.  It throughly explained how I could not only make a usable spreadsheet, but also how I can add stuff like charts, Drawings, and scripts.  The helpful discussion on how to format easily and even auto-fill, helped me when I was making my own spreadsheet.
  But, what I'm most impressed with is how great of a tool it will be to help my future students reach their CCSS.  Here are a few of the State Standards that Graham talks about meeting, while using Presentations:
  • A 6th Grade CCSS: "Understand that a set of data collected to answer a statistical question has a distribution, which can be described by its center, spread, and overall shape. (p.96)
  • A 3rd Grade CCSS: "Generate measurement data by measuring lengths using rulers marked with halves and fourths of an inch.  Show the data by making a line plot, where the horizontal scale is marked off in appropriate units--whole numbers, halves, or quarters." (p. 101)
Graham said it well, "Google Spreadsheets is the most complex program in Google Docs." (p. 113).  Yet, I feel like it could be used in so many areas, and especially math.  In the 3rd Grade CCSS, I had an idea to add a spreadsheet to the first Lesson Plan I did for Dr. Votaw's class.  My lesson plan was for a 2nd grade class, and measuring in Inches and Feet.  I could see it benefiting the class to have them work together to make a simple spreadsheet and compare the difference lengths of everyday items.  This was be a great way to use spreadsheets in this instance.  One of the key things that Graham says about using Spreadsheets is, "Google Spreadsheets will allow the student to collect data in cells and manipulate the data to make charts and graphs that the student can use to explain his or her findings with evidence" (p. 93).  This is, it helps students to explain their findings, by recording the evidence.  To have the child create their own spreadsheet, work hard on finding data, and manipulating these sheets to fit their goals...that is a teachable moment for them.  
  I believe that students today, are way more prepared for the way education and higher learning is leading.  To have a base in the "Google World", is like writing a Golden ticket for their futures.  



2 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderfully well done! (I understand you meant Spreadsheets when you said Presentations a couple of times.)

    Your questions:
    1. While one can link in the grading scale, it requires another complex formula. I thought one complex formula ("ImportRange")probably was enough. If you want to look further, though, it involves the "=VLookup" and a still more complex (than ImportRange) formula - specifically "=VLOOKUP(search_key, range, index, [is_sorted])"

    In truth, I like to manually put the grade in because it gives me a chance for "human intervention" (i.e., bump up a grade for someone who worked hard but fell a fraction short of a higher grade.

    2. You set your gradesheet up like the example - which is how I set up my gradesheets. That works best for me - but feel free to do as you wish.

    3. I really can't tell what you are doing wrong without seeing what you are doing. I can be available most afternoons, even mornings, but when I am setting up and implementing various aspects of Chinese Summer (now) I am out a lot. So, an appointed time works best. Please let me know when would be a good time to meet from your perspective.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete